#PrayForRefugees is an initiative to equip and encourage Christians to unite in prayer on behalf of the millions who have been displaced from their homes and their countries as a result of conflict and persecution around the world.
Some 65.3 million people have been forced from their homes — an unprecedented number. More than 21 million have been forced to flee their countries and become refugees.
Many are not legally able to work. Millions of children have been forced to abandon their educations, making them vulnerable to child labor, early marriage, exploitation and the lifelong impacts of missing school. Many are Christians. Many more have never known the love of Christ in their own lives.
Christians are a diverse community. We don’t agree about everything.
But as Christians, we can affirm some shared beliefs:
- Each human being is created by God, is loved unconditionally, and is of eternal value to the Lord
- We are all commanded to serve the poor, the suffering and the oppressed, regardless of where they live
- We are to find Christ in the hungry, the thirsty, the stranger, the naked, the sick and the imprisoned
And as Christians, we can pray:
- For protection of civilians – innocent individuals, families and children – caught in the crossfire of conflict and often the target for persecution
- For relief for the suffering – for food, clean water, shelter, clothing, health care and protection from the winter cold
- For a future for children – for education, for safety and security, for stability and emotional health in the face of their traumatic experiences
- For the work of groups responding tangibly to the needs of refugees
- For an end to the conflict and persecution
If you are interested in helping tangibly or learning more about what various Christian groups are doing to serve refugees, please visit the “How to Help” page.